a) BUDGET PLANNING, IMPLEMENTING AND MONITORING PROGRESS
- Participate in the development and implementation of the following annual property plans including annual: budget, marketing plan and capital expenditure plan.
- Monitor progress and make any adjustment necessary to meet or exceed the budgeted goals.
Team Building and Staff Management
- Business manager is responsible for building a competent property management team consisting of an OM (where applicable), Operations Manager and department supervisors. Develop a culture of leadership and responsibility through team work at all levels.
- Embrace and promote the Company’s Guiding Principles and lead by example.
- Train management team members (OM, supervisors) in order to effectively delegate responsibilities and hold each management team member accountable for goals.
- Maintain adequate staffing levels in all departments and avoid disruption to management duties. Ensure each department meets hourly wage coverage guidelines and minimizes overtime hours.
- Recognize employees as the most important assets of the Company and invest in their development.
- Conduct and coordinate training of all property associates under the business manager’s supervision.
- Clearly communicate and explain property incentive programs including updated changes.
- Conduct and document 90-day and annual reviews of staff performance for promotion and wage adjustment.
- Discipline, suspend, and terminate employees for cause in a timely manner supported by complete documentation. Coordinate any suspensions or terminations with the Corporate Director, Human Resources (CDHR).
- Maintain a certification with educational institute such as CHS, CHA and CLM and encourage supervisory team to do the same.
- Promote “Spirit of Hospitality” and deliver a high level of guest service to our guests through proper training and communication.
- Deliver efficient guest check-in/out to our customers.
- Promote friendliness in dealing with our guests. Always greet our guests professionally.
- Promote going the “extra mile” in meeting and exceeding guest expectations.
- Ensure phone reservations are taken professionally and in compliance with Company standards.
- Review daily guest survey and guest comments in order to identify ways to improve guest service. Monitor Market Metrix daily to ensure we are meeting our overall satisfaction goal of 86%.
- Train and promote proper and professional handling of guest complaints. Respond to all guest complaints with a 24 hour period. Coordinate with Corporate Human Resources when necessary.
- Help cover peak hours of business. This may involve extended management hours needed to meet business demand.
- Update and respond to all surveys, guest comments and hotel reviews posted on all wholesale sites and social media sties, on a daily basis. Follow-up with guests and staff as it relates to proper resolution.
Operating Cost Control
- Promote a culture of cost consciousness and avoid waste in operating the property.
- Comply with hourly wage guidelines for budgeted hours in front desk, housekeeping and maintenance departments. Monitor payroll costs daily and discuss any concerns with VPO and CDHR when necessary.
- Maintain low overtime costs (emergency situations excluded).
- Monitor and control utility expenses by implementing energy and water conservation measures. Create an energy saving culture by involving all associates.
- Monitor and control other operating expenses suchas room expenses, repair and maintenance, and general and administrative costs. Monitor these “other” expenses daily.
- Minimize adjustments to room revenues resulting from guest complaints about poor room conditions.
- Ensure that all deliveries received are inventoried and stored in locked storage with management access only.
- Review monthly P&L statements and take corrective actions for compliance to budget. P&L variance is due each month.
Facilities and Maintenance
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe environment within the property.
- Promote “Spirit of Hospitality” and deliver a high level of guest satisfaction in our facility conditions and communicate with all associates regarding deficiencies in order to improve performance.
- Review daily guest survey and guest comments for maintenance items needing attention.
- Inspect and maintain clean and functional guest rooms including public areas, grounds and parking lot as per policy. Document all inspections.
- Review daily housekeeping and maintenance inspection reports and coordinate corrective actions in a timely manner.
- Take immediate action on rooms with damaged FF&E items or malfunctioning equipment.
- Maintain complete records of facility inspections and communicate with Director of Facilities and Maintenance (DFM) on actions taken.
- Report property damages and broken equipment to DFM immediately for follow-up repairs or replacement.
- Ensure completion of scheduled preventive maintenance as outlined in the operations manual. This includes all daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tasks.
- Perform annual inspections on guest rooms and public areas and send the report to DFM.
- Inspect and report unsafe lighting and trip and fall conditions on the property to DFM.
- Ensure proper follow up of any and all corporate inspections and those completed by the insurance companies and agencies.
Accounting Policy Compliance
- Maintain all receipts from room sales and other revenue sources and follow procedures for depositing the receipts. Business manager is also responsible to ensure that all guest balances are managed according to policy and that payment is made daily.
- Observe purchasing procedures for operating the property including use of petty cash.
- Process new and update existing direct billed accounts for corporate approval.
- Post property payroll for processing by corporate office.
- Observe policies and procedures for internal control measures including night audit duties and cash handling.
c) REVENUE MANAGEMENT/SALES (INTERNAL MARKETING)
- Provide input in the development of annual revenue budget.
- Skillfully apply best practices in yield management to maximize ADR. Communicate with Revenue Manager.
- Maintain competitive RevPar index to the property comp set as reported by STR each month.
- Maintain local contacts with competitors for updated information on occupancy and rates in the local market.
- Maintain contact with market managers for all wholesale portals.
- Participate in community organizations including local chamber of commerce.
- Review and analyze daily statistics report with previous night’s revenue results.
- Regularly complete competitor set rate shop call (via phone and online).
- Perform OTA management /CRM with market managers.
- Attend special events (conventions, festivals, concerts, etc.), as may be advantageous.
- Check online reputation through guest satisfaction reviews.
d) CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT ACTIVITIES
Customer Relations & Promotions/Communication/Record Keeping
- Creating close relationship with key account customers/guests
- Providing superior service most particularly to VIP, corporate and group guests
- Conducting “fish bowl” promotion
- Regular attendance on social networking activities like chamber functions
- Consistent communication with key account customers/guests’
- Maintaining complete, accurate and updated company and group account file contact information
- Ensuring correct market segmentation and rate type coding for all guests
e) HUMAN RESOURCES
Employment and Relations
- Interview candidates and hire all supervisory and line level positions in accordance with new hire policies and procedures. This includes performing reference checks, background checks and drug screening.
- Promote “open door policy” environment among supervisors and associates for improved communication.
- Supervise timely 90-day and annual written performance appraisals for all staff.
- Personally conduct performance evaluation of ABM, OM, supervisors and employees.
- Promote development of every associate by regularly communicating, coaching, and counseling. Assist in problem resolutions. Involve CDHR and VPO for consultation if necessary. Ensure supervisors are using proper methods of supervision including fair and consistent counseling.
- Take appropriate and fair disciplinary actions and document poor performers.
- Coordinate all involuntary terminations with Corporate Human Resources.
- Document and maintain personnel file records (including 1-9’s and confidential files).
- Cultivate a high level of Company loyalty among all associates and effectively use incentive programs.
- Ensure proper compliance to all relevant wage and hour and labor laws. These include, but are not limited to: monitoring of meal and rest break compliance, I-9 compliance and safetyrules.
Health and Safety
- Promote proactive injury and illness prevention and a “Safety Culture” in caring for the safety and well-being of all personnel and guests.
- Comply with performance standards and procedures regarding safe work habits and a safe work environment for all.
- Delegate regular safety compliance and fire prevention inspections. Conduct monthly safety committee meetings and submit all reports to CDHR on time.
- Document all training sessions on various safety issues and emergency procedures.
- Schedule annual inspection of fire alarm system and proactively correct problem areas in order to be in compliance with city regulations.
- Comply with the IIPP (Illness & Injury Prevention Program) and ensure all employees in Housekeeping and Maintenance who may be exposed to blood and body fluids are either given the opportunity to receive Hepatitis B inoculations or sign a waiver.
- Evaluate the safety training of all new hires regarding general and job-specific safety and document acknowledgement of training by the attendants.
- Arrange or conduct training for emergency procedures when re-certifications are due.
- Immediately report all injuries, as well as near accidents, by following procedures.
- Follow Company procedures to communicate accurately and promptly all employee and guest incidents to CDHR by filing appropriate and current forms for detailed and complete reporting.
- Assist CDHR in handling WC claims including alternate job assignments.
- Ensure that only approved products are purchased and the MSDS sheets are on file and kept updated.
- Ensure that the proper emergency equipment is updated and available at the property: goggles, gloves, first aid kit, Ambu bag, eye wash station, bio hazard kit, blood and body fluid clean up kit.
- Report and document all injuries relating to employee and guests immediately according to policy.
- Monitor compliance with all applicable labor and employment laws and governmental regulations, including EEOC, Health Department, Cal/OSHA, and ADA.
- Enforce no-tolerance policies and procedures in connection with sexual harassment, discrimination, theft from Company, etc.
- Investigate and document inappropriate behaviors including incidents when rights and obligations pertaining to California Innkeepers are violated. Inform CDHR immediately.
*Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the business. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Must be able to communicate with corporate staff effectively and take direction constructively.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The employee is expected to work in other areas of the property when needed to assist operations to perform job duties not necessarily contained in this job description.